'Our Children, Our Area'
DSPL is a Hertfordshire-wide partnership approach where parents, carers, staff in early years settings and schools, further education colleges, local authority officers and representatives from other agencies, work together as part of an Area Group to ensure that there is a range of provision and support services available in their local community that:
- Meets the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND), aged 0-18, as close to home as possible.
- Improves outcomes for wellbeing and attainment
- Widens choice for children and parents/carers
- Removes barriers to learning
- Uses available resources more effectively through parents, schools, settings and services working collaboratively
There are nine DSPL Area Groups across the county that meet regularly to discuss what services are available and to influence how services are shaped and developed to ensure the children and young people with SEND in their area receive the right support in their educational activities.
DSPL7 covers the areas of St Albans and Harpenden, including the surrounding villages of Kimpton, Wheathampstead, Redbourn, Colney Heath, London Colney, Park Street and Bricket Wood. Schools and families can access DSPL7 services if they live in these areas, or have children who attend a school in DSPL7. All our services are fully funded.